Bachelor of library and information science
Information is an important resource in the day-to-day operations of individuals, organizations and society. The world has evolved to an age where information technology and information explosion are here with us. There is therefore need for information professionals to acquire higher and relevant qualifications and skills for libraries and other information centres. It is due to this need in our country that the Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS) programme is being introduced. The techniques of library services have made great advances during last few decades with the result that the libraries are better planned, organised, equipped and administered, the book-stocks are more effective and better arranged and the readers are given increased facilities and greater assistance. Library is an asset of modern education and research. The situation has been created in such a way that the society cannot breathe without the library. The Bachelor of Library and Information Science programme is a structured professional and discipline-specific curriculum. For all this, an elaborate planning in every field demands specialised training and so also in librarianship. A systematic training for personnel in modern libraries has become an absolute necessity to meet the demands.
- To educate the students in the philosophy of librarianship, basic principles, fundamental laws, professional ethics.
- To train students in the management of Library and Information Centres.
- To enable students to understand and appreciate the functions and purpose of Library & Information Centres in the changing social, cultural, technological and economic environment.
- To provide basic knowledge of computer and its application in Library and Information activities.
- To give students an understanding of the basics of Information Science.
- To train students in the skills of information, knowledge processing, organization, and retrieval.
- The students are prepared in such a manner that they may be capable of taking up self- employment in the information field.
- The students are prepared to take up the information challenges of the coming years.
*(Study Material may be made available in English Medium.
However, a student has the option of writing the Exam in English/ Hindi/ Punjabi language except for
DLIS114 (Library Classification Practice) and DLIS117 (Library Cataloguing Practice)
courses which are to be attempted only in English Language.)
Min. Duration 1 Years
Max. Duration 3 Years